The Government College of Pharmacy (GCP), Rohru was established in the year 2005 at Rohru, District Shimla, Himachal Pradesh. This college offers a four-year B. Pharmacy program since its inception. GCP, Rohru is currently affiliated with Himachal Pradesh Technical University, Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh. The ongoing B. Pharmacy program at the institute is approved by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), New Delhi, and Pharmacy Council of India (PCI), New Delhi with a sanctioned intake of 40 students (till 2021-2022). This is the first Pharmacy College in the state of Himachal Pradesh that was established to impart Technical Education in the area of Pharmacy to aspirants, especially those who belong to remote rural areas, keeping in view the immense employment opportunities in various sectors like academics, administration, corporate and Pharmaceutical Industries. The success of the college is amply reflected by the academic results and excellent placement record. Every year nearly 25-40% of students in the final year qualify GPAT exam. GCP, Rohru is having vast infrastructure, which includes modern buildings, labs, a library, an auditorium, and lush landscaping around the campus. It is focused on the all- around development of its students, which includes intellectual, physical, and mental health, along with personality development and improving communication skills. The college has well functional NSS unit and the students have been participating and representing the institute at the state and national levels.
About the Programme: Govt. College of Pharmacy, Rohru is committed to making our graduates competent professional pharmacists to excel in the field of academics, research, industry, pharmacovigilance, drug discovery, and entrepreneurship. Pharmacy is recognized as an integral part of the healthcare system and this discipline combines a wide range of scientific concepts from various disciplines along with core pharmacy, which includes biochemistry, microbiology, communication skills, mathematics, biology, etc., which are critical for the development and discovery of new drugs, drug designing, and therapeutics. Govt. College of Pharmacy, Rohru GCP, Rohru is the oldest and one of the best pharmacy institutes in the state of Himachal Pradesh.
“To emerge as a center of excellence in the field of pharmaceutical sciences by providing globally acceptable theoretical, practical and moral learning to develop excellent health care professionals, entrepreneurs, and researchers”
Our aim here at the Govt. College of Pharmacy, Rohru is to emerge as a center of excellence in the field of pharmaceutical sciences in India and to achieve recognition at the national level for excellence in quality Pharmacy Education and Research by 2025. The institute is committed to delivering high-quality pharmacy education, experimental training, research exposure, and opportunities for physical, mental, and overall personality development to its students and faculty. Govt. College of Pharmacy, Rohru is devoted to creating a human resource of exceptional leadership quality, moral intellect, and professional thinking to serve national needs.
M1: To sincerely adopt the curriculum of the Himachal Pradesh technical University, Hamirpur (PCI,
CBCS, and NS) while incorporating necessary amendments as per the dynamic changes and requirements of
industry, academics, and research.
M2: To provide a constructive environment to students for research and development in different disciplines
of Pharmaceutical Sciences and technology.
M3: To empower students with the necessary skills for becoming skilled and trained professionals in the
M4: To enable students for intellectual achievements in terms of academics, research, innovation, and
M5: To instil moral, personal, and professional ethics in our students.
Strength, Weakness, Opportunity and Challenges (SWOC)
1. Highly qualified and experienced Govt. appointed faculty
2. ISO certified institute.
3. State-of-the- art laboratories and IT Infrastructure approved by AICTE
4. Teamwork of the faculty and staff
5. Industry oriented skill-based curriculum as per standards of PCI
6. Curriculum enrichment through value added courses, contents beyond the Syllabus
7. Overall development of students through their participation in co-curricular & extra-curricular activities
8. Good sports and Games facilities (vast campus and ample space)
9. Structured service and financial rules as per Govt. of Himachal Pradesh
10. Effective feedback system from stake holders
11. Highest no. of GPAT qualifiers
12. Most preferred institute of the state for B. Pharm. course
13. Well placed alumni of the institute (Asst. professor, Drug inspectors etc.)
14. Excellent publications of faculty
1. Remote location of the institute compared to other institutes of Himachal
2. Rigidity of academic structure & curriculum (as curriculum must be followed as per PCI regulations
3. Lack of consultancy services due to geographical location
4. Distance of industries and R&D organizations (Baddi and Paonta Sahib).
5. Delay in process of appointments of teachers by Hiamchal Pradesh Public service commission
1. Potential to gain Autonomous status
2. Potential to initiate post graduate course
3. To develop collaborative programs with industry and R&D organizations.
4. To establish consultancy for pharmaceutical industries
5. To get funding projects from AICTE, UGC, DST etc.
1. Location is the major challenge in all the way.
2. Submission of major proposal for obtaining funds from various agencies.
3. Need to maintain the research laboratories and research work.
4. Retention of good faculty and researcher who are regularly contributing for college as various colleges are
opening in various corners of the state
5. continual of best work as there are high expectations from the institute being oldest institute of the state.